Friday, January 12, 2007

CORNERSHOPPING THE MARKET ON ROCKY BALBOA

Back in the mid 90's, an Indian-British Alternative Rock act emerged from under the wing of the immortal Oasis and combined rock with ska with rap. The band: Cornershop.

Many of their songs I would only recommend for personal listening pleasure. They are a weird group with a host of different sounds. They're a great escape from all the one dimensional sounds out there. If you're in the mood for funky and different, these guys are perfect.

But I'd love to know where these guys get their album and song titles.

My favorite song of Cornershop's is a fast moving southern rock sounding number called "Lessons Learned from Rocky I to Rocky III." The album it came from? "Handcream for a Generation."

I've listened to the song easily 20 times. Not only will I never be able to figure out what this song even remotely means, but I still can't understand every word sung, even by listening closely (and don't give me that lyrics.com shit - you're a bunch of sell out cheaters!).

Some lines I do know are "Super Models and they can't get enough of it, oooooh, the over grown super shit," or "Lesson 3 is to ignore 4." I think that's my favorite. Rocky III was the peak of the Rocky franchise. Rocky IV was just a video game. So heed the lesson all of you who will see Rocky Balboa and have not seen any of the first 5. Ignore 4, and 5 for that matter because neither of them happened.

As for the song, it's great to listen to get yourself going, and especially before a sporting event. With the Super Bowl coming up and all, give it a shot. If it doesn't float your boat, then lesson 4 is to ignore ME!

No comments: