Thursday, January 11, 2007

THE MYSTERIOUS ANNIE LENNOX - COVER DIVA

Ever since her debut as the buzz cut red head from Eurythmics in the "Sweet Dreams" video, I had always been on the fence about Annie Lennox. She has to great a voice to ignore her talent but for some reason, her music didn't do it for me.

Maybe it was because of her mass "girl power" appeal or maybe it was just that as a solo act, she just didn't appear enough in the public eye to make me notice.

It wasn't until I heard the album MEDUSA that I finally got over the fence and became an Annie Lennox fan. MEDUSA for those of you who haven't heard it, contains a collection of covers (and some of her own) by a an eclectic group of artists, beautifully transformed by Lennox into her own artistic realm.

Among the covers are The Animals "Whiter Shade of Pale," The Talking Heads "Take Me to the River," and my personal favorite, The Clash's "Train in Vain." On this one, she takes it down about 10 notches and creates a classy and catchy tune that could easily be mistaken for a new song. It's also as if she's winking at you saying "Yes, I know it's the Clash but nothing's out of my league."

If Joe Strummer were still alive he would surely give his blessing.

No comments: